Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tip of the Day

I didn't go shopping today but I looked through the adds again and planned for next week...I probably won't go shopping until Monday so that I can make use of the new coupons in tomorrow's paper.

But on to the tip. Yesterday, I mentioned how to cut out the coupons...but after their cut out, what do you do with them? Isn't hard to handle large stacks of flimsy scraps of paper? What are you supposed to do now, darnit!?

There are many different options for organization. The method I choose isn't the fastest or "easiest" by far...though, in the end, it really is the easiest. Here's a breakdown of your options.

1. 8x10 picture holders

Have as many picture holders as you have categories. Place each stack in the holders! Plave the holders in a binder. Simple :) The problem comes when you are searching for coupons to use. It may take a while. Plus you may miss a few in the long run because you've forgotten about them.

2. Envelopes

Very similar to the above method. Instead place the coupons in envelopes. Has the same pros as above but also the same cons.

3. Cut-When-You-Need-It

Invest in some sticky notes and office clips when using this method. Each week when you get coupons, simply clip them all together and label them with a dated sticky note (the date is printed on the edge of the first page, right off the fold, but the sticky note makes it quick and easy). Every time you plan to go shopping, you would need to go onto one of the many coupon websites and check out what coupons you do have available (it's called a coupon database...try pinchingyourpennies.com or couponmom.com. I plan on talking about all of the websites out there on a later day.) Compare your weekly shopping ads with the coupon list and decide which coupons to cut out. Then cut only what you need. Also very simple :) and possibly even a better idea than the envelopes and picture holders because you could access all of the coupons easier. There is a downside to this method, though. If you are getting more than one newspaper, you would need to collate all of your pages before cutting anyway. It may take more time than it's worth...I wouldn't know because I have only read about this method.

4. Baseball Card Holders

This is the "hardest" method because it takes such a long time to do. My SIL almost gave up coupons because it's kind of a pain to do this type of couponing. You will need to purchase at least two packages of baseball card holders. They are found at Wal-Mart or Target...maybe other stores, too, but I have only shopped those two places for them. Place them in a binder that is between 2 and 3 inches. You will also need dividers...I made my own out of cute scrapbooking paper. Write your categories onto the dividers and place them in the binder. Then comes the hard part that makes this method so much work...you need to place each coupon in each holder. This, plus cutting, is what takes me the full hour. But when it's done, it's really easy to keep track of all of your coupons. Shopping also is much easier, as well.

In the end, the last method is the one I prefer. I will confess that I don't organize all of my coupons, though. My medicine, hair color, and make up categories are placed in an 8x10 holder, instead. I don't use those ones as much and figure it's worth it.

There may be other options out there that I haven't even encountered. But I am very satisfied with how I am doing it now...I think I have mentioned before that I am addicted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how you feel! But please leave an email if you want a response (I'm not so good at figuring out a differnt way of doing this) :)