Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tip of the Day

Buying Newspapers

Believe it or not, there is a science to buying newspapers if you're simply buying for the coupons...which paper offered has the best ads? How many papers are worth buying? Where do you buy these famed papers? So many questions...but there are just as many answers. (Right here if possible)

Surprise, surprise...not all newspapers are created equal. Though your town may offer more than one major paper, each paper may have variations in the ads they carry. I didn't know that at first here in Phoenix. When I purchased the Tribune rather than the Republic, I was disappointed to find out my sister-in-law had better coupons than I did. I didn't want to fall behind in my coupons just because the paper I bought, though less expensive, wasn't cutting it. Now its only the high-class Republic for me. No shoddy papers allowed in my house.

I began by getting two papers each Sunday at our local Walgreens (where it's $.15 less than at the Circle K...every penny counts, especially when you are trying to save money on coupons. It's all about pennies with coupons, right?). We only have three people in my house, and one of them is a small guy (only 21 months), so I wouldn't need too many coupons...or so I thought. Little did I know how addicting this could become for me. Two papers wasn't enough any more. I now get three papers, with the extra ad coming in the mail during the week making my coupons total four sets each week.

I recommend subscribing to the paper and having it delivered (Can I recommend something that I don't actually do? Does that seem hypocritical...maybe not since it is me that is suffering for the lack of the subscription while the rest of the world actually does things to make it easier for themselves.) That would make it easier on me, of course. Then I wouldn't be scrambling out at 9:30 to get to Walgreens by 10:00.

"Oh, you're out of papers?...Try Fry's, you say? Thanks!

...Oh, you're out of papers, too? Maybe I'll spring for the full $2 a paper at the Circle K, instead

...What? You need a paper, too? But there are only three left and that's how many I buy...I get it that you are a cute little guy in your pj's running into the Circle K for your mom...is that supposed to make me more sympathetic to your cause?...Fine, I'll give in and give up one of my own precious papers."

The newspaper distribution in our area doesn't allow for Sunday-only delivery, though, and the rest of the papers each week are simply a waste of a good tree in my book. So I will continue with my routine and buy them Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know how you feel! But please leave an email if you want a response (I'm not so good at figuring out a differnt way of doing this) :)